It’s that time of year when the days are longer and the nights are getting hotter. Summer is the season for weekend escapes to the beach and reunions at the family lake house. But with airfare approaching 4-year lows, it’s not a bad time to book a flight, even if it’s just for a quick weekend escape. A group of Clymb employees and friends recently took advantage of cheap flights to Alaska, and with almost 20 hours of daylight, the weekend was packed with action. Here are the highlights from their 3 different itineraries.
Surf & Scramble – Kyle, Colin, Craig
- Arrived in Anchorage at 11:50pm, picked up a rental car, and started the 2 hour drive south to Seward.
- Arrived in Seward at 2:30am, quickly set up a tent in the downtown, and slept for 4 hours.
- Met up with Captain Liska of Alaska Surf Adventure at 8:00am and boarded The Drekkar. Took an hour-long boat ride out of Resurrection Bay to get to the surf break at Bear Glacier.
- Surfed for 5 hours and then headed back to port.
- Met up with Suzie and Natalie for a hike up the Harding Icefield Trail.
- Grabbed a beer at Yukon bar, set up camp near Exit Glacier, and passed out around midnight.
- Woke up at 8am and drove an hour north to Byron Glacier.
- Scrambled for several hours getting as close as we could safely get to the glacier.
- Drove 15 minutes to Whittier. Grabbed a bowl of seafood chowder and spent a few hours exploring the town that is rich in WWII and Cold War history.
- Drove back to Anchorage, met up with the girls, had a few beers, and headed to the airport.
Hike & Kayak – Suzie, Natalie
- Arrived at 11:50pm, and spent the night in Anchorage.
- Picked up the rental car and made the scenic daytime drive to Seward.
- Arrived in Seward and spent the morning exploring the downtown.
- Met up with Kyle, Colin, and Craig and hiked up the Harding Icefield Trail until the snow was too deep to pass.
- Set up camp in Kenai Fjords National Park.
- Woke up at 7:00am and made breakfast.
- Met up with the crew from Sunny Cove Sea Kayaking at 8:00am.
- Went kayaking for 4 hours in Resurrection Bay, and saw all sorts of wildlife including breaching whales, seals, sea lions, otters, and bald eagles.
- Sunbathed and picnicked on Lowell Point beach before heading back to Anchorage.
Backpack – Olivia, Laura, Michelle, Grace, Hannah, Alaina
- Arrived in Anchorage and spent the night in Barrett Hotel.
- Stopped by Adventure Appetites to get backpacking food and bear spray at 8am.
- Drove south on Hwy 1 to the trailhead for the Resurrection Trail.
- Hiked 14.5 miles through the Chugach National Forest to the East Creek Cabin. Saw 2 bears, a baby moose, and a bunch of bald eagles on the trail.
The cabin came equipped with an out house and wood for wood-stove, as well as axe and saw. There was no bear box so we hung our food. We made our dinners, hung our wet clothes to dry, drank wine, and watched the sun go down after 11pm.
Woke up, made breakfast, and hiked 14.5 miles back out to the van with sunshine and blue skies. Legs were throbbing from 30 miles covered in 24 hours.
Got back to the van and immediately took off our boots and socks to soak our feet in the nearby creek.
Drove back to Anchorage to meet up with the rest of the crew for Fish-n-chips, Salmon Spread, and well-deserved beers. Returned our bear spray and rental car and headed for the airport for our return flight home around 10pm.
These are just a few ideas for your next weekend getaway whether it’s by air or road. Remember to share your stories with us using #ClymbLife. Now get outside and explore!