In 2006 the first digital “action cam” hit the market for consumers. Over the past decade with the rise of social media and a surge in interest in outdoor recreation, dozens of consumer electronics companies have tried to take a bite of the relatively young “action cam” market. With big players like GoPro and Sony often hogging the spotlight, it’s easy to pass over newer entrants into the market. We first discovered the TomTom Bandit when we found out it was used for all of the POV shots in Sweetgrass Productions’ “Darklight” film featuring professional mountain bikers Graham Agassiz, Matt Hunter, and Matty Miles. After doing our research, we soon fell in love with the Bandit’s features.
1. 4k Ultra HD – All TomTom Bandits come out of the box ready to shoot both 4k Ultra HD videos and timelapses in addition to standard 1080p and 720p HD recording modes. The camera can also be used to capture slow motion sequences and 16 megapixel stills.
2. No Cables – One of the Bandit’s coolest features is its cable-free design. The integrated USB port allows you to charge the camera and transfer files to your computer without the use of a cable.
3. Longer Battery Life – The Bandit can record 3+ hours of HD footage on a single charge.
4. Waterproof to 40 Meters – With a rugged all-around design, the Bandit, equipped with its dive lens on, can be taken to depths of up to 40 meters.
5. Built-In Action Sensors – In addition to recording videos and taking photos, the Bandit has built-in action sensors that will record your g-force, rotation, acceleration and altitude.
“TomTom has a winner on its hands with the Bandit. It’s a quality camera with a lot of high end features and is sweetly integrated with your smartphone – best of all, video output is superb and is rugged as hell.” – The National Business Review